G2LM|LIC - EMES: Ethiopian Manufactoring Enterprise Survey
Data Set Description
The data were collected during April and May 2016 on a sample of 300 Ethiopian manufacturing firms and 3.000 workers. As sampling frame the 2015 Census of Manufacturing Firms was used conducted by the Central Statistical Agency (CSA) of Ethiopia that captures all manufacturing firms that use power-driven machinery and employ at least 10 workers. The Census is officially referred to as "Large and Medium Scale Manufacturing and Electricity Survey".
The sampling frame followed the 2015 Census of Manufacturing Firms by using regional states as strata. Because of their minimal number of manufacturing firms, the researchers excluded five regional administrations at this stage of sampling. These include the Afar, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella, Harari and Somali regions, which are often referred to as small states. The survey thus includes the Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray regional states and the city administrations of Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa.
Since manufacturing firms tend to concentrate in major urban centers, the survey was limited to manufacturing firms located in the capital cities of the respective regions except for the Amhara region where two large cities were included, i.e., the regional capital Bahir Dara and the city of Gondar. Since nearly 70 per cent of manufacturing firms in the CSA census are located in and around Addis Ababa, the same proportion of firms in the sample were selected from the nation’s capital. The remaining 30 percent of firms were randomly selected from the other regions each with a six per cent share.
Once the firms were selected, the survey was conducted on 10 randomly selected workers from each firm. Retrospective questions were used to collect data on wages and pension contributions from administrative records of firms. This allows to capture the evolution of wages before and after the pension reform at the worker level without relying on interviewee memories. Such data were collected for the month of March for seven year from 2009 to 2015.
In addition to wages and pension contributions, the survey captures workers’ highest level of formal education, occupation, age, gender, marital status, and parental education. The survey has a module on firm-level information including total number workers, hiring and firing activities, location, and industry.
Scope of Data Set
Researchers working with the “G2LM|LIC - EMES: Ethiopian Manufactoring Enterprise Survey” are obligated to acknowledge the data base and its documentation within their publications, including the DOI, by using this reference.
IZA Discussion Paper(s)
- Shiferaw, Admasu
- Söderbom, Måns
- Bedi, Arjun
- Alemu, Getnet
Access to the data is provided to non-for-profit research, replication and teaching purposes. The data is available from the Research Data Center of IZA (IDSC).
Please contact IDSC for any access requests.