Got it
We use Google Analytics in compliance with German Data Protection Law. The site gathers data for the sole purpose of improving its services. You're able to decline now or later. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You'll find more information here.

Data Set Description

briq - Delayed Negative Effects of Prosocial Spending on Happiness Logo

The data were collected in a behavioral choice experiment with a total of N = 591 student participants at the BonnEconLab of the University of Bonn, Germany, in September 2016.

In the main sample, Lottery Choice (N = 325), subjects chose between two lotteries, Lottery A (with probability 60%: save a human life in expectation by triggering a donation of 350 euros; with probability 40%: receive 100 euros) and Lottery B (with probability 40%: save a human life in expectation by triggering a donation of 350 euros; with probability 60%: receive 100 euros).

In a control condition, Deterministic Choice (N = 221), participants directly decided between saving the human life in expectation and receiving the money. In a third treatment condition, the Calibration Sample (N = 45), the authors elicited the minimal monetary amount that would make a participant indifferent to saving a life in expectation.

The study was approved by the Ethics Committee of the Economics Department at the University of Bonn (reference no. 2016-02), and all subjects provided informed consent before participating.

Date Created: 2020-01-31

Scope of Data Set


Time Periods: September 2016



Restricted Access

  1. Falk, Armin
  2. Graeber, Thomas

Quantitative Data


Laboratory experiment


Access to the data is provided to non-for-profit research, replication and teaching purposes. The data is available from the International Data Service Center (IDSC) of IZA.
Please contact IDSC for any access requests.



Geographic Coverage: